Share your 2020 Vision

In lieu of resolutions for 2020 I am making a “vision board” what visions for 2020 do you have? How are you settling intentions? Set your goals and share with the community.

3 Likes

My 2020 Vision is to continue advocate for myself as well as for others with Sjogren’s and other autoimmune conditions. I will still continue advocate and be an ambassador for the Sjogren’s Syndrome Foundation; to bring awareness to the disease.

3 Likes

Gee, I am planning to write about my 20/20 Vision in my next blog post. I guess that is going to be a popular subject this week!

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see all the good work you will do!

1 Like

Absolutely! Can’t wait for your post!

1 Like

Just created mine yesterday to share on Instagram via the WEGO Facebook group! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My goal for 2020 is to finally take care of myself and figure out all thats wrong with me and the best way of life for me in my current state.

2019 was the year of AS. I plan to continue raising awareness for this little known but certainly not rare condition. My vision for 2020 is that we as a whole can do more to raise community in our illnesses and share resources and provide support for those who need a boost in their search for community.

1 Like

My 20/20 vision is to remain focused on all that I didn’t complete in 2019.I want to advocate much.I desire to speak more this year and work very hard on my organization Bill.20/20 will be a year of accomplishing all I set out to do with perfection.

1 Like

Mine is prioritize my professional commitments first… and then the patient advocacy part will take care of itself.

1 Like

I respond to My COPD Team. I’ve been a mentor for someone in another COPD group: Ultimate Pulmonary Wellness Foundation. I posted a Word Press link, speculating that being on Prednisone and Advair, together with occasional oxygen use strengthens my immune system that could lessen the severity of COVID19 infection and discussed it with my pulmonologist’s nurse. COPD.net liked my idea on Facebook.

2 Likes

Is it too soon to be thinking about 2021 visioning?
Even with COVID-19 which I know has thrown quite a monkey wrench into peoples’ 2020 vision?

1 Like

Who knew???
In January that #HighRiskCOVID who be a trending hashtag and all of the other unprecedented changes we now live with.

1 Like

While my earliest college & graduate-level education & first abandoned career was virology (respiratory virus focus but on cold & flu virus causes, not the SARS/MERS/COVID-19 style coronaviruses although I did do a PhD level rotation through such a lab, I was way more fascinated with rhinoviruses, the most common cause of the common cold). I vaguely knew they could be threatening, but a lot of circumstances would have to fall into place to have a repeat of the global 1918-1920 Influenza pandemic & like my mentors, we figured it would be influenza of a new type that could reemerge to wreak havoc. Until maybe 2003 when the first SARS-causing coronavirus surfaced (& was quickly contained in Asia), coronaviruses were not thought to be a big threat to all.

Fast forward to late January 2021 when I am offline (messed up computer, took forever to repair/replace it) & my best friend of 30 years (an electrical engineer & computer programmer) calls me to discuss the new respiratory virus in Wuhan China he’s hearing about in a few news reports. Starting then I go mildly personally on alert for it. He (as his aging father’s closest family caregiver) & I then began discussing some personal preparations to make & precautions to take.

I personally got very sick for about a week with the 2009 Influenza H1N1 pandemic, it definitely slowed up the dementia caregiving I was then providing to my father but as he was in early stage fronto-temporal dementia, Dad thankfully didn’t need a lot of ‘hands-on’ help. But from then on pandemic preparedness was a thing I personally couldn’t overlook because if I got sick, Dad would be without any care & dementia is chronic, progressive (gets worse with time) & ultimately fatal.

A person living with dementia’s care needs only increase as time goes on & so that was a major wake-up call for me, given my goal was to facilitate my father staying in his own home receiving good care for as long as possible.

So in early 2020, I already had a lot of the right supplies like a face shield, cleaning supplies, extra toilet paper on hand. I wish I had kept a deeper more varied food pantry, bought more hand sanitizers, been more diligent on keeping up with my vitamin-taking regime, but I did replace a lot of expired over the counter medications & ensure my first aid kit was up to snuff in time for the President’s announcement on March 13th.

I knew from my old academic studies that congregate care (or congregate facilities) are the LAST place you want a sick, frail, or elderly person to be in a respiratory virus pandemic. The greatest group of COVID-19 deaths (40%+ & counting) are unfortunately residents of congregate care facilities. And the middle to end stages of my father’s FTD taught me how to run a very isolated / self-sufficient household, though fortunately I never had to implement infection control procedures beyond both Dad & I taking yearly influenza shots (Dad also got a bacterial pneumonia vaccination when he was on hospice, elders at a certain age should consider this as well)

I never expected the CDC & NIH to be so utterly crippled by the executive branch of the government The silencing of Dr Messonier on February 25 (The day after my 51st birthday) was my signal to get any last minute holes in my preparations to isolate sped up & finished. Frankly I was deeply shocked at the reprisals taken against her, to silence her & professionally/politically punish her for doing her job, breaking bad news & trying to get others ready for the worst to come.

That the science carried out by public servant scientists & researchers would be this politicized & held hostage to peoples’ political ambitions I never could have dreamed of happening, yet here we are.

Nor did I think we’d make it to 200,000+ dead (& counting) from just 7 months of the pandemic here in the USA.

We are living in very interesting times.

1 Like

This sounds like a good idea. I need to make a vision board!!

1 Like